THE AVONSIDE 2038 Loco built by Avonside (same as UVE 2) in 1929, works number 2038. Was owned by Huletts and was at Darnell Sugar Mill. It was Plinthed here until David Hall acquired the loco for the Narrow Gauge Preservation group and it was taken to Inchanga Nursery.
Restoration  was started by John Baynes, carried on by Eric Lupke and Neal Bodger after John retired.
Quite a lot of repairs had to be done due to corrosion from being plinthed and this loco was probably on its side during its life as the valve gear on one side had been butchered to fit in a bent condition. Also one or both cylinder castings would seem to not be original to this loco, they are different castings but for the same diameter and stroke.
ID of this loco has always been assumed to be something else, but  enough components including one motion bracket (although removable part) to be relatively confident that the loco's ID is 2038. Completed by Keith Stevens in March 2004 and now at Ixopo since then.
Umtwalume Valley Estates No.2 or UVE No.2 for short was built by the Avonside Engine Company in Bristol England for Reynolds Brothers. UVE No.2 is a 9 1/4" x 14" design (cylinder diameter x stroke), works number 2065 of 1933. She was the second last Avonside built for the sugar estates tramways in South Africa. Similar locomotives were built by Hunslet Engine Company who took over Avonside in 1935, one of these was UVE No.1. This indicates that the number was only applied later in life, at least after 1937 when UVE No.1 was built. Bought by Reynolds Brothers for use on their South Coast sugar estates, she is known to have worked on the Umtwalume and most probably Sezela systems.
UVE No. 2 received a replacement boiler from Hunslet in the 1950's. She was completely overhauled in Durban and later at Midmar in the late 1980's for use on the now defunct Midmar Steam Railway. UVE2 was first steamed at Midmar in 1991 She was then stored on a farm at Merrivale until moved to Mason's Mill in Pietermaritzburg. There she was overhauled, receiving a new smoke box and new side tanks and has now been in use on the Paton's Country Narrow Gauge Railway at Ixopo
since November 2003.
The end cab was built for Doornkop by Hunslet, works number 4404 in 1953, 98hp. It worked at Doornkop and was their No.2.  They were abandoned on site at the loco shed near the mill, The Narrow Gauge Preservation

Group bought the locos from the land owner in the late 1990's. The locos were stored at Inchanga until taken to Paddock to be returned to running order by Sean Stanton. Both locos were returned to PCNGR--no work done on the 8cyl center cab. In June 2003 and after work  on the gearbox and starter motor  4404 was put into regular service. In May 2004 vacuum brakes were fitted to the loco.

Ordered from Messrs. Beyer, Peacock & Co., Ltd., during 1914 and delivered after the Great War in 1919 were three 2' gauge NG/G11 articulated Garratt steam locomotives, numbered 51, 52 and 53 respectively,  erected at the Uitenhage workshops and, after trials in May 1920 on the Avontuur line, two were placed in service on the Stuartstown ( Ixopo) branch line in Natal. Sir William Hoy, General Manager, South African Railways & Harbours, in his report for 1921-22, recorded : " The narrow gauge Garratt engines, placed in service on the Stuartstown branch, are most economical and have reduced train mileage and trainsmen's hours. Their introduction has also effected a saving of one engine and train crew." A further order was placed for two similar locomotives, No's 54 and 55. These engines were fitted with superheated boilers and piston valves. They were erected in the Durban workshops during April, 1925. The total weight of the engine in full working order was 48 tons 4 cwts.  The locomotives were used mostly in Natal on the various branch lines. NGG 55 remained plinthed at Weenen, after the Estcourt to Weenen line's closure.
The loco was donated by the Weenen Municipality to the Ixopo municipality. Sandstone Estates were to restore the Loco and the Ixopo municipality provided the funding  It was then sent to Sandstone Estates for restoration in March 2003.where it was stripped and the boiler sent to Pretoria. It was initially reported as scrap and not worth repairing. A visit by experts from PCNGR soon proved otherwise. Almost a year later the parts were packed into crates and the loco was shipped to Bloemfontein where Lucas Nel reassembled the loco, re made the turret and replaced the missing brass. The loco was delivered to Ixopo in August 2004 by Sandstone Estates. Much work was still needed on NGG11 no 55 before she could be put into use on the Paton Country Railway. Eventually 3 months after arriving in Ixopo NGG11 no 55 was put into regular service.
Departure point is from the original Eston Station building rescued from a heap of rubble at Hilton The journey ends at the Mid Ilovo Station building restored at Ncalu. All buildings have been rescued from around Natal and restored. Total length is 20 km. 6 km has been replaced to date. 8 km remains to get to Madonela station in Umzimkulu.